MA Tutorial report form Monday 28 March 2011

MA Tutorial report form
Date; Monday 28 March 2011
Name; Jonathan Holden
Tutor: Caroline

________________________________________________________________

Reflection on outcomes since last tutorial

I have started writing more about my own work, and trying to find some “themes” to explore. This includes trying to understand monuments and memorials. Immortality is an idea I need to explore further, and possibly euthanasia as an example of forming society. Gilbert and George "We have no interest in reflecting or showing society - we are only interested in forming it."

________________________________________________________________
As it is only a week since my last tutorial, I am going to keep these three
Current projected aims and outcomes:
1. To write much more, much more reflexively, about my work.
2. To continue to experiment with Abstract Heads, and to document this carefully.
3. To plan and execute some “shows” of my work.

and add:
4. To read up about Ralph Bernabei and Horizon Gallery, and explore the kinds of questions typically asked of artists.
5. To find and read some academic work which will inform this
6. To explore galleries in Barcelona where I would like to show my work.
________________________________________________________________

Discussion and recommendations

We discussed the idea of strategies, particularly commercial strategies for positioning art practice with respect to Horizon Gallery and Ralph Bernabei, which I have chosen as my case study. There seems to be little outward marketing of the gallery (a few press releases in the local press, but no web presence). Is it possible that intrigue and exclusivity are important for the gallery? In my assessed piece I have to be sure to bring depth, not just give an overview.

It might be a good strategy to interview Ralph and Silvy separately, to loose the dynamic between the two and thus maybe shed more light on each other and the gallery.

We talked about envy, as being a good tool for personal goal setting. But this may mean that I have rose-coloured glasses on my view. During this interviewing process envy may be lost, or indeed may grow.

We then moved on to talk about how artists make money, and the role of the gallery. I need to look at galleries and what they show, and to research arts organisation before submitting work to them. Which galleries do I identify with? Which would I like my work to be seen in? How are they appreciated, responded to, looked at with a critical eye? What is it about the gallery that I like? How successful is it as a gallery, and what is the public perception of it?

With respect to art submissions I need to think about what the organisation normally does, what type of work it is likely to be looking for. Sometimes it’s a good idea NOT to submit a proposal if there is no clear overlap with my own work. As for budget, it should include a fee, materials and production costs, expenses and external technical skills. They are looking for project management skills too.

Keep an eye out for calls for artists in AN etc., but also identify galleries where I would like to show my work, and see if they have an open submission policy. Be strategic about moving work forward commercially and publicly.

One other idea, linked to Angela’s idea of having an Open Studio, is to invite a curator to create an exhibition, and to invite a VIP list of gallerists.

Finally I asked about the assignment. It is to be formal and referenced, with supporting research and documentation. This documentation should be creative and might be a log of the journey to and from the interview, interviews scripts, or a film or recordings of the interview.

Caroline will be sending assessment criteria.

(There was also one other reading, I think from McNiff, that Caroline was going to send).