Cornelia Parker

Cornelia Parker
Cornelia Parker: the Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston
Parker, Cornelia
Publisher: Boston : ICA, c2000.
ISBN: 0910663572

Interviewed by Bruce Ferguson, October 1999

"There is one piece where I drowned souvenir models of famous monuments in my bathwater, the blocked up the gutter. I think it´s an early avoided object. It exists only as a photograph and has never been seen by anyone, it´s only been in a catalogue, and it´s one of my favourite pieces." p.46-47

"I don´t want to make art about art." p.47

"That was the only available space." p.47 (on hanging art)

"I don´t often read about art, I look at art, but I don´t really want to saturate myself with the theory of it. I get my inspiration from reading about science in the newspaper, or perusing objects in the street market. I´ve learned more about sculptural space or technique in the real world than in sculpture class." p51

"..but if it´s a lump, like dogma, you find it indigestible, it´s hard to absorb." p.52

"When you think about the history of sculpture and all these monuments, they´re fixed, they´re made to last. Works of art last for longer than the artist, they get reinterpreted over and over by various generations of people." p.52



James Fenton on Cornelia Parker http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2003/mar/08/art.artsfeatures1