Finishing Work

Why is my only finished piece called "Alex (Unfinished)?

As my friend Ralph Bernabei said "People keep coming into my studio and saying "Oh, I like that.. how much is it?" and I look at it and I wonder to myself, if it is even finished yet. Still, if they want to buy it...."

Is it true that my work has a feel of experimentation, play, trying things out, using different materials but nothing really feeling finished? With work such as "Abstract Heads" it was easy to decide when a work was finished... the whole canvas was covered with paint. Though sometimes I would sit back and look at it and change one section to another colour. But one day as I was sitting at the dining table I looked at one work that I had not yet completed. And as I looked at it, I realised that it was, in fact, finished.



What does a "finished piece" mean? When do you know when a piece is "finished"?